Error indicator field not off

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

Error indicator field not off

Postby HansR on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:47 am

I have SAR V3 plus an Emon and two battery banks. My electrical system is not grounded to the engine and returns to the neg battery terminal. My oil pressure sensor (with 2 connections) failed and I replaced it temporarily with a single contact unit. This causes a negative connection to ground. I am running my spare alternator of 60A in stead of my failed 150A alternator. A new alternator and 2-contact sensors are in order but I am in a remote location (Mayotte, in the Indian Ocean) and need to run my motor from time to time. My questions are these:
1. Could this (the single contact sensor) be the reason for the SAR Error Alarm and the green Indicator light indicating bulk charging? No alarm condition appears when I use my small generator and Xantrex charger to charge.
2. With this condition one could overcharge the batteries and damage them, but how risky is it really as the Emon shows towards the end of the charge cycle only very low Amperages of less than 10 A.

Your consideration of these propblems will be greatly appreciated.

HansR
HansR

Re: Error indicator field not off

Postby Coulomb on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:42 am

You'll have to measure the voltage across the batteries to know if they are overcharging.

However, you do have a serious grounding issue and it may result is failure of the SAR. If you're using a single wire sender, then you need to add a heavy duty, (#00), wire between the engine and negative distribution.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby HansR on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:07 am

Hi Coulomb,
Your forecast has become reality. I have reinstalled the defective sensor with the two connection, but the alarm continues. Hence there is some damage to the SAR. However, the Emon continues to show the right voltages and currents. If I keep these under control, could I continue without additional problems in your view? I am expecting replacement sensors, but I don't think they will do away with the alarm.
Note that I have some 900NM to go before I am in South Africa where it could be fixed (or sent to Ample Power).
Hopefully I will also have a new 150A alternator installed soon. If I keep the voltages and currents under control - a manual isolation switch in the field wire would disconnect the field and hence stop the alternator from charging.

Is my thinking right?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

HansR
HansR

Postby Coulomb on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Rather than interrupt the field wire, put the switch in the B+ line so that the diodes in the SAR work to prevent arcs. A switch in the field wire may just arc itself closed.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators