New Batteries on the Hook

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

New Batteries on the Hook

Postby dvkall on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:52 pm

I read your comment on AGM's on boats and as my AGM's are about dead and Lifeline say's I need to condition them once per month am going to switch to Gel's. (I'm enough of a slave to batteries that I don't need to become more of one).

However I'm currently on the hook in Panama and am wondering two things: 1) Do the current generation of Gels still need to be "broken in"? and assuming they still do 2) how could I accomplish that with the EMON, SARv3 and the DC generator I have. Is it possible or do I need to visit a marina? If I wait 12 months to visit a Marina and plug in then will I be able to complete the break in process there?

Thanks
dvkall

Re: New Batteries on the Hook

Postby Coulomb on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Not all gel batteries are created equal. The 6V units manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing in the U.S. are our favorites for their excellent cycle life. True, they don't have the capacity in that case size as other manufacturers claim, but the cycle life makes up for it.

Gel batteries and most liquid electrolyte units benefit from the 'break-in' procedure described in the Primer, when they have not been cycled on a regular basis. You're going to start on day 1 with cycling, so there is not much to be gained by the break-in procedure. Mix some deep discharges with some shallow ones for the first 15 cycles and you should be 'good to go'.

We have shipped gear and batteries to Panama from Seattle, and cost for shipment by sea are quite reasonable. Contact rsales @ ample power . com if you would like a quotation.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators