smart alternator regulator V3

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

smart alternator regulator V3

Postby bobjan on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:00 am

I have a 4-108 westerbeake #37 H.P. diesel engine powering a 1969 40 ft. sailing vessel. This engine also drives two 106 amp. 12 volt alternators. The positive from each of these alternators runs to its own isolator which has three output lugs. These lugs are described as #1, #2, #3. The #1 lugs of each isolator are now joined at a stud and go to battery bank #1. The #2 lug on each isolator are also joined and go to battery bank #2. The #3 lug on each isolator are joined also and go to the engine starting battery period. All of the batteries are 12 volt a.g.m. batteries from west marine. The two alternators are controlled by one smart alternatnor regulator V3 with the field wires joined at the field output slot on the regulator. I have a twisted pair of temperature monitor wires running from the positive terminal of the #2 battery bank to the V3 regulator. Also from that same positive terminal I have a wire running to Battery Volts on the regulator and it includes a fast blow 3 a.m.p. fuse in this wire. QUESTIONS. Should the #1 battery bank and the starter battery bank be monitored also? If so, where do I attach them to the V3 regulator?
Also, by going through the two isolators, I am causing the two alternators to work much harder and a fair amount of additional heat is generated in the engine compartment. Is there a way to eliminate the isolators and not run risk of destroying one if not both of alternators? Out of space, will add data at future date.
bobjan

Re: smart alternator regulator V3

Postby Coulomb on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Isolators are a poor choice for charge distribution. See this article: http://www.amplepower.com/primer/prefer/index.html.

The regulator can only sens 1 bank, which should be the single house bank. Charge distribution to the starter battery can be done with a parallel solenoid.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators