Cannot turn feild off error

For Next Step Regulators including Lifeline units. Use the NS2 forum for NS2 issues.

Cannot turn feild off error

Postby bdoug on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:14 pm

I have a next step regulator on a 2001 Prevost Royale Coach. One of the coach batteries exploded and power was lost to half of the bus. When the bus got to the shop, the 15amp fuse on the B+ was blown. The error light is blinking 1 sec on 1 sec off.
The alternator will put out 25 volts one time, 13 the next, and 18 every now and then. Even with the engine and generator off and unplugged from shore power the regulator is still blinking a code for bulk charge and an error code for cannot turn field off. Also I am reading 13v to the back off the alternator and the field wire is connected to a post on the back of the alternator that says "do not ground". We are getting continuity to ground from both the alternator case and the post where the field wire is connected. We checked with the wire both plugged into the regulator and unplugged. We had continuity in both cases. The 15 amp fuse will not blow with the engine off or while at idle. I talked to a tech from Royale Pheonix and was told to let the bus sit at fast idle for about 3 hours to let the alternator get to proper temperature. After about 10 mins of fast idling I went to go check the voltages, the 15 amp fuse was blown and the alternator was putting 18v to the batteries.
I quickly shut the bus off. Also I am not able to adjust the voltage down by the pot on the regulator. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you
bdoug

Re: Cannot turn feild off error

Postby Coulomb on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Waiting for the alternator to warm up? Never heard of such a thing.

The B+ fuse blows and yet the alternator still charges and at 18V no less? Something in the wiring is amiss. Something besides the regulator must be applying field voltage, which would explain the error code, "Can't turn off field."

The regulator should be tested and the wiring checked.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby bdoug on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Do we need an RGA# to send the regulator to you? Can you give me a price and instructions to send it to you?

Thanks
bdoug

Postby Coulomb on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Some products can be repaired, but that can only be determined after inspect and test. Inspection costs $75.00. Repair is billed at time and material. Time to repair is billed at $125.00 per hour. Next Step repair has a maximum limit of $175.00.

Send products for repair to:

Ample Power Company, LLC.
6315 Seaview Avenue, NW
Seattle, WA 98107

Include name, address, purchase information and contact phone or email.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Next Step Regulators