NS2 Install Questions

For issues involving the NS2 regulator.

NS2 Install Questions

Postby CSBaldacchino on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:37 pm

NS2 Questions:

1) With the NS2 installed (and my external regulator disconnected? it doesn't say that anywhere in the doc), what happens to the Discharge-Charge dial on my instrument panel? (I have a Ford 7.5L gas engine.) Does it continue to be functional with the NS2 installed? If not, do I then have to rely ONLY on the NS2 LEDs to indicate the state of my charging system as I drive down the road? If the D-C instrument is no longer functional, how DO I read the NS2 LEDs if the NS2 is mounted in the engine compartment?

2) As a follow-on to 1), if I can't see the NS2 LEDs and the D-C instrument is non-functional, what happens if the Battery Combiner solenoid fails while I'm driving? Given the wiring diagram for the NS2, won't I be driving ONLY on the no-longer-being-charged Starter battery, which is sure to give out after, say, 20 miles? (In other words, why doesn't the Alternator charging wire go FIRST to the Starter battery (as it does now) with the Battery Combiner hooking in the House bank either at the turn of the Ignition switch or after 30 seconds -- as from TB2-1 (more later on this) so that, even if the solenoid fails, the Starter/Running battery will still be getting an Alternator charge (even if the House bank is not being charged))?

3) How does the NS2 charge the Starter (shallow cycle) battery? As if it were a deep-cycle battery (like the House battery/batteries are)? Why doesn't the NS2 monitor BOTH battery banks, separately? Isn't that necessary to charge the different types of batteries correctly? (Can the NS2 even work in this environment? Isn't it necessary to have a second Alternator to charge a different kind of battery correctly?)

4) Given the existing wiring diagram, what DOESTB2-1 actually do? Wait 30 seconds to let the starter battery get charged? Combine both banks ANY TIME the House batteries are being charged (say, from a City powered or generator-connected charger)? Both? Neither? Why doesn't TB1-5 control the Battery Combiner (which is nothing more than a battery ISOLATOR switch here) instead of TB2-1?

5) Are the green or yellow LED signals on any of the TB pins (in addition to the red LED signal on TB2-2)?

6) What is on the pins of the 14-pin header on the NS2 board?

7) The install documentation says that the wiring documentation is the ONLY way to wire the NS2. It specifically says NOT to combine ground wires or positive wires. Why is this? Is not a ground a ground -- no matter where it is? In particular, TB1-8 is described as connecting to the Alternator ground post, ... even though the Alternator ground post is itself directly connected to your negative distribution post (battery ground?). Is the TB1-8 terminus somehow different from the TB1-3 terminus? (Besides, on my Alternator, all the posts and wires are on connectors. Should I be tapping those wires, when I could just run the TB1-3 wire directly to the negative battery post of either battery or to a good frame ground?)

8) Is a twisted-wire-pair CRITICAL for the battery temperature sensor connection? Or is just twisting two 16 ga wires along their path good enough? (And, why isn't there a temperature sensor connection for EACH battery bank?)

9) Anything else (beside attaching TB1-8 first) that I should know before taking this installation on?
CSBaldacchino

Re: NS2 Install Questions

Postby Coulomb on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:34 pm

1) It's generally not a good idea to modify a standard alternator. See http://www.amplepower.com/apps/alt_conv/index.html and http://www.amplepower.com/apps/lh/index.html

2) How about wiring an LED/resistor in parallel with the solenoid where you can see it.

3) The NS2 charges the starter battery via the parallel solenoid.

4) Read the data sheet section with the title "Battery Combiner Feature". Read the manual section, " TB2 Signal Names and Functions".

5) Review the wiring diagram.

6) Pins for testing and programming.

7) According to your theory of ground, everyone who lives on Main Street has the same address. There's a chapter in the book "Living on 12 Volts with Ample Power" that explains more about ground. Follow the wiring diagram.

8) Twisting wires is easily done using a drill motor. Depending on how much electrical interference there is, it could be critical that they are twisted. Starter batteries are cheap and last quite a few years being mistreated so the cost of sensing their temperature isn't worth it.

9) Follow the manual.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to NS2 Regulators