NEXT REGULATOR DRAINING BATTERY BANK

For Next Step Regulators including Lifeline units. Use the NS2 forum for NS2 issues.

NEXT REGULATOR DRAINING BATTERY BANK

Postby Hippo on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:13 am

I have had a NEXT regulator on my boat for the past 4 years and did not experience any problem with it until recently when I discovered that my house bank was being drained when the engine was not running:

(i) I have discovered that there is a short between “B+” and “FIELD” on my NEXT regulator: even with the regulator “off” (no power applied on “ON/OFF”), the output voltage on “FIELD” is the same as the input voltage on “B+”. This drains my house battery bank at the rate of 4A per hour

(ii) When I start the engine and power is applied to the Regulator’s ON/OFF terminal, the regulator goes automatically into the alarm mode (RED, flashing 1 sec. on/1 sec. off). Though the Reg. is in alarm mode, the alternator is charging (as confirmed by the Ammeter connected to the Alt.). I guess this is normal as there is voltage on “FLD”

I have checked all other connections as per the NEXT instructions and did not find any problem. Any suggestion?
Hippo

Re: NEXT REGULATOR DRAINING BATTERY BANK

Postby Coulomb on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:08 am

See the Troubleshooting Guide at http://www.amplepower.com/trouble/index.html for tests which will pinpoint the fault. Sounds like a shorted field driver, but you can confirm that.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Hippo on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:11 am

I did follow the NEXT troubleshooting to the letter. There is indeed a short between B+ and FLD, but it is INSIDE the NEXT. What do you recommentd next?
Hippo

Postby Coulomb on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:45 pm

It can be repaired. Cost is $150 to $175.

Send products for repair to:

Ample Power Company, LLC.
6315 Seaview Avenue, NW
Seattle, WA 98107

Include name, address, purchase information and contact phone or email.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Next Step Regulators