lithium ion battery settings

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

lithium ion battery settings

Postby robtm373 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm

I have your Genie 12/280 on my boat. I am considering purchasing lithium ion batteries . What settings would you recommend that I use to charge this battery? Any thoughts on this new battery technology?
robtm373

Re: lithium ion battery settings

Postby Coulomb on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:34 am

What are the charging specs for the batteries?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby petedd on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:30 am

I am considering the same and have both a Next and a V3 on my boat, on engine and 12V genset respectively. As for battery specs, I am looking at most of the specs and see pretty much the same thing when one uses LiFePO4 cells. Four cells in series to make a 12.8V nominal battery. Here are specs for reference (of each cell) http://www.electriccarinternational.com/media/BP-HZPP-200-lithium-ev-car-battery.pdf

Is Ample Power looking into firmware upgrades to address the LiFePO4 batteries or is there a combination of settings that can be used on the current firmware?

With regards to the ground problems being the source of the issue for the field current cycling when using LiFePO4 batteries (see Oceanplanet's postings from a few years ago, could you explain with just a detail where you think the grounding problem would be. To my understanding Oceanplanet gave up on solving the problem with the AP regulators and replaced them with another regulator which did not have similar issues. I would prefer to keep my AP regulators which I have been very happy with.

THANKS
petedd

Postby Coulomb on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:43 pm

There are two questions being asked. How to use the SAR V3 with LiFePO4 batteries and the grounding issue.

This URL explains the grounding issue.
http://www.amplepower.com/primer/ground_bounce/index.html

LiFePO4 cells can be used by adding a series resistor to the B1V sense line. Use the Ample Power Gel setting, which is all DIP switches ON.

Add a series resistor of 500 Ohms to get the desired absorption voltage. Using an adjustable resistor will allow some tweaking, unless you can find a 500 Ohm resistor with 0.5% tolerance of better.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators