Smart Alternator Regulator V3

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

Smart Alternator Regulator V3

Postby SteveTex on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 pm

I have a customer with a Smart Alternator Regulator V3 for a 50DN Delco alternator. It is charging 6 batteries, 8D AGMs.
The voltage with the engine running is 27.2. This doesn't seem like enough to keep up as the customer complains that the batteries will slowly go down while on the road.
Is there a way to "turn up" the charge voltage or is there something else that I should look for?
SteveTex

Re: Smart Alternator Regulator V3

Postby Coulomb on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:25 pm

That's an appropriate float voltage, and should maintain a full charge.

It's not always possible to get details from people. How is you customer determining that the are "slowly going down". What does that mean?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby SteveTex on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 pm

This unit and alternator are in a motorhome and they only charge the storage batteries (there is a separate alternator for the chassis batteries).
After being on the road for a few hours the voltage will drop to 21-22 volts, this low voltage will cause some equipment to shut down (like inverters). I have not actually seen this but I was able to check voltage as the rig sat here in the driveway and it seemed okay at 27.2. I was not able to road test the unit as it was late they were ready to hit the road.
SteveTex

Postby Coulomb on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm

All charging has stopped. The most likely cause is a loose connection.

Check the LED indicators on the regulator when that happens. The red LED in particular.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators