NS Field short

For Next Step Regulators including Lifeline units. Use the NS2 forum for NS2 issues.

NS Field short

Postby BradS on Tue May 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I am a long time Ample Power customer. I am running your Lifeline NS, Emon II & autoswitch ( w/ an Amptech L160) in my camper which we live in full-time. It has been pretty much flawless for a decade until the other day. My charging system has died and I'm dead on the side of the road in NM and need help. I've alternating red & green leds flashing. My NS B+ 15A fuse keeps blowing ( The ignition on/off and BAT V seem fine) and I'm not sure if the problem is in the NS or the alternator but most likely something to do w/ the field shorting to grd. Is there a way to check to see if the NS is fine ? Can I turn on the ignition and measure the voltage between the Field & field return pins ( wires to alternator disconnected) without doing any damage. Will the NS go through a standard a standard boot procedure (solid red light for 5 s to flashing green etc) if it is not connected to the alternator ?

If necessary, how long to get a NS2 sent out if I want the BC & serial port options ?
BradS

Re: NS Field short

Postby Coulomb on Wed May 22, 2013 7:22 pm

What is the on/off code on the regulator? Check the manual to see what the regulator is saying to you.

Probably there's a short in the field circuit of the alternator. You can try a full field test. If you get a huge spark, then the alternator is shorted.

There is a trouble shooting guide that will help determine was is wrong.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby BradS on Thu May 23, 2013 8:19 am

Thank you f necessary, how long to get a NS2 sent out if I want the BC & serial port options ?
BradS

Postby Coulomb on Fri May 24, 2013 4:27 pm

The Battery Combiner option is now standard on the NS2. You need a parallel solenoid to go with that.

The serial port option is no longer available from lack of interest and the cost of making one or two every now and then.

NS2 units are in stock.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Next Step Regulators