Not enough amperage

For issue regarding Ample Power diesel/bio-diesel battery chargers.

Re: Not enough amperage

Postby jfoy on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:46 pm

I slowly gave R11 8 CW turns while my friend was checking the amperage on the energy monitor. The generator was under load from the microwave oven which draws almost the same amperage as the watermaker. The amperage gradually improved while the generator did not appear to be under additional strain. Seems like all is now well and appreciate your help in resolving this issue.
jfoy

Postby Coulomb on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:03 pm

This indicates that the engine is running at a lower RPM than it was when R11 was first set. That's OK, as long as you're not straining the engine. The engine will emit black smoke if it is loaded too much. At the black smoke point you should back off about 20% on the output current. You may have to discharge the batteries quite a bit and load the Genie with the microwave to be able to find the black smoke point and then back off to an optimum load for the engine.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby jfoy on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:32 pm

While the generator was under load from the microwave oven (similar amperage draw to the watermaker), I adjusted R11 8 turns CW while my friend was checking the energy monitor. The result was that the generator output increased sufficiently to cover the power requirements of the microwave and a bit more. Right now all appears to be the way it should be. Many thanks for your help.
jfoy

Previous

Return to Ample Power Diesel Battery Chargers