Battery not charge completley

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

Battery not charge completley

Postby KenBit on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:25 pm

Dear Sir,
I have a Next Step Regulator on my sailboat. When I am cruising for an extended period of time, I find that regulator is not letting the Alternator to completely charge the battery before the regulator starts to cut back on the level of charge. For example, in the morning when we start to charge back the load from over night, I may have 50 Amp hrs to charge back. The Regulator may charge at 60 amps and 14.4 v fine, but in about 20 mins, the charge rate is down to 20 amps with 20 amp hrs to go. At this rate, the battery is never completely re-charged. Is there an adjustment to allow the Absorption Level to stay high longer so that the battery charges fully?

I did increase the Absorption Time Adjustment so that if we are motoring for long periods I will get the benefit of charging.; nor surprisingly, it didn't seem to affect the near-term performance.
KenBit

Re: Battery not charge completley

Postby Coulomb on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:24 am

Please read this post: http://www.amplepower.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36

Amp-hour instruments are not accurate to judge regulator activity. You have to use Voltage and Amps together to know when a battery is full.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators