NS2 Failure?

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

NS2 Failure?

Postby Milt on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:34 am

I started off with an Ample Power Next Step regulator and later upgraded to an NS2 and have enjoyed it for over a decade. A recent incident on the boat may have been caused by a failure and I have to determine if I must replace the NS2. I started up the engine to charge the batteries and heat up water for a shower when I had a voltage spike that blew out all the light bulbs that were turned on, and the marine radio and am/fm radio also had all the capacitors explode (another symptom of extreme voltage spike). The 20+ year old alternator had all the diodes fail. I have found the replacement parts via this forum on a different thread, now I have to look at the status of my NS2. The "status LED" is a steady red light. When I checked to voltage setting of the absorption and float voltage testpoint, they were only showing about 6.2 volts, and the highest they will adjust to is 13.5 Obviously this is not normal, but what does it tell me? -- thx -- Alan
Milt

Re: NS2 Failure?

Postby Coulomb on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:34 pm

It sounds like you got hit with lightning in the area.

The NS2 is probably bad as well.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Milt on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:52 am

I understand what you are saying, but this all occurred immediately after I started the engine. There was no storm ... as I came down the steps I saw the lights very bright and heard "pop", "pop", "pop" as the capacitors blew!
Milt

Postby Coulomb on Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:23 pm

Usually a failure in the alternator or regulator doesn't cause capacitors to blow.
Do you have a battery selector switch? A failure in that can cause huge transients.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby Milt on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:34 am

I do have a switch that only switches what battery the engine starter draws from. The alternator output is connected directly to the house bank battery.
Milt

Postby Milt on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:50 am

I also have an old Heart inverter/ charger that I thought maybe had failed and caused the spike, but after returning to port it tested fine. It had been turned off but was in parallel with the house batteries during the spike. The spike also took out a fluorescent fixture in the head.
Milt

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators