Absorption mode to Bulk mode

For all issues regarding the EnerMatic Controller or Engine Assemblies with the EnerMatic Controller

Absorption mode to Bulk mode

Postby Dper on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:20 pm

When the controller is in absorption mode, what is the trigger to go to Bulk mode when a load is applied?

My system was running in the absorption mode, I applied a load to the batteries and the system seemed to stay in the absorption mode with the battery voltage dropping down to 47.78V with the alternator field volts at 3.57V and only providing 9.1Amps with a 26Amp load.
Dper

Re: Absorption mode to Bulk mode

Postby Dper on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:43 pm

I did some reading on the controller and now realize that there isn't a separate Bulk charge mode.
Going to check the battery settings and look at the PWRV signal.

Any other advice would be welcome.

Regulator Status:
Reg_state 1
Reg_status 0
absorption_timer 59
fldv 3.57
alta 9.1
b1v 47.78
b1a -17.0
b1a_lo 0.0
b1t 10.9

Will also check:
absorption charge setpoint.
power limit is set to about 11,000 Watts.
current limit is off, or set it very high.
alternator calibration shunt setting.
Dper

Postby Dper on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:21 am

I spent some more time with my set up this weekend. I changed the current limit setting to 100Amps to see if that had any effect.
I Started up the engine, waited for the alternator warm up timer to reach 0.
The Alternator came on but still only had ~3V on the field and 9amps output.
I measured the field voltage directly on the alternator and it matched the hyperterminal reading.

I was sitting there looking at the running engine, trying to think of what to check next when the alternator kicked on!
The only load on the alternator was the batteries.

From the HyperTerminal:
fldv = 10.24
alta = 76.7
b1a = 38.2
b1a_lo = 38.0

Nice to finally see over 10amps from the alternator but why would the alternator amps be twice the charge amps with no other load?
Any thought on why the alternator would take an extra 5 min to kick on? Can't imagine that half the current out of the alternator isn't going to the batteries.
Next time I am on the boat I will check all the connections make sure there is no loose connection, but don't know what might cause a delay in the alternator going from low field voltage to correct field voltage.

Any advice welcome.
Dper

Postby Dper on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 am

Continued my t-shooting of my system. Checked every single connector including every wire on the Molex connectors on the side of the controller. I did find one wire that was "clicked" into the connector.

My system has a QuietTorque 20 electric motor that drives a prop shaft and runs off the 48V battery bank. The electric motor and Kobota generator are in line with each other with the aft DC alternator less than a foot from the forward Electric motor.

I put the fuses back in and fired up the generator. I also turned on the electric motor to put a load on the fully charged batteries.
After the warm up, the field voltage was once again low and only 9Amps coming out of the alternators with about 50amp load to the electric motor.

I then turned off the power to the electric motor and the field voltage jumped up and the alternators started putting out 30amps and charged the batteries back up.

It seems that maybe I have some noise coupling between the electric motor and the generator/controller system.

Next step will be to drain the batteries a bit and then disconnect the electric motor and see if the generation system works without issue.

Would be interested if anyone has seen noise issues running the EnerMatic Controller next to an electric motor using the same battery bank.
Dper

Postby Dper on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:18 am

I have confirmed that the Enermatic controller and alternators work as expected when the Electric motor is off and disconnected via its main power switch.
The electric motor is a QuietTorque™ 20.0 – 20kW, 48v. http://electricyacht.com/product/electric-propulsion-plug-n-play-2-2/
The electric motor has two Permanent Magnet AC motors.
Even with Electric motors not engaged but power going to the QuietTourque controller, the field voltage was not as expected.

There is some interface between the AC motor or motor controller and the Enermatic system that causes the system to have a low field voltage on the alternators.

My next plan is to attach the QuietTorque to a separate battery bank to see if the interference is radiated or conducted EMI.
Dper

Postby Dper on Mon May 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Had the boat back out this last week a few times and the alternator field voltage never kicked into high gear even if the Electric motor was off :cry:
So I am back to either something intermittent, or something else wrong with the set up. Ran the generator for at least an hour and started it several times with very low battery voltage and I would get less than 10Amps of charging.
Dper

Postby Dper on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Update on my issue:
The system has worked without a hitch for the last few months. Alternators kick in every time.
Leads me to think that either my issue is related to Temperature (summer time!) or charge on the 12V system. I have solar panels and we don't get much sun in the winter time and maybe the good full charge on the 12V system is making the difference.

Or maybe the intermittent feature happened to fix itself.

Will let you know if the issue comes back and if I find anything.
Dper

Return to EnerMatic Controller