Multi-Source Regulator and Solar Charge Controller

This forum is for general electrical issues. See other forums for product specific issues

Multi-Source Regulator and Solar Charge Controller

Postby johnkremski on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:48 am

I have a charge controller CNTLR-12 in the positive feed line from the solar panels, and also a Multi-Source Regulator V2 tied into the system (wind gen also), EMON-II H1, and SAR V2 controlling dual alternators. The solar charge controller appears to have quit working completely, while the MSR alarm functions work, but it will not divert power to the load cell when needed.

I am reading battery voltage levels on pins 1,2,3 and 5 of the solar controller, ground at pin 4. Pin voltages on the MSR are:
tb1-1 13.82
tb1-2 13.82
tb1-3 n/a
tb1-4 n/a
tb1-5 n/a
tb1-6 0
tb1-7 13.82
tb1-8 13.82
tb1-9 3.0
tb1-10 0

tb2-1 13.82
th2-1 n/a
tb2-3 1.43
tb2-4 4.52
tb2-5 n/a
tb2-6 0
tb2-7 0
tb2-8 0
tb2-9 13.82
tb2-10 0

The EMON is also erratic on the percent full calculations, occasionally will suddenly read several hundred percent, I re-set it manually once to full, last time it happened reverted back to correct readings on its own, wigged out again this morning after running the engines.

I have temporarily installed a FlexCharge solar controller as a stop-gap measure, but would like to have the MSR working - seemed to be better for the batteries.

Any suggestions?
johnkremski

Re: Multi-Source Regulator and Solar Charge Controller

Postby Coulomb on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:25 pm

The MSR is 20 years old and no longer supported. Parts are not available to fix it.

If a very long time is spent at dockside where regular discharges and charges don't occur, the Emon will fall into arithmetic overflow - it's a small 8-bit microcomputer doing software floating point that is limited in resolution. They symptom is wild swings in Ah remaining.

The solution is to remove power from the unit and reapply after a few seconds.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby johnkremski on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:59 am

MSR: OK, but I don't see a comparable product listed on your web site to replace it with. Have 520 watts of solar panels and a KISS wind generator to contend with. What do you recommend to replace the MSR with, that hopefully will intergrate with my EMON?

EMON: Have not been plugged into shore power for over eight months, but will give that a try and let you know the results of removing power and re-connecting.

Thanks!! (and what are you doing working on a saturday??)
johnkremski

Postby Coulomb on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 am

You can use an EM-Relay with the EMON to control solar and another for the wind generator. There are wiring instructions in the manual.

For sure at 8 months on shore power the Emon has overflowed it arithmetic capability trying to keep track of accumulated charge and discharge amounts.

Go sailing!
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to General Electrical