ESP Controller

For the Energy Monitor, ESP, and other monitors

ESP Controller

Postby Brad on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:29 am

ESP users:

I have an older ESP Controller on board my Pearson 422 sail boat. During the winter without frequent charging, the batteries run down quickly with the ESP using precious AMPs, monitoring all the batteries, etc., etc. My question is a simple one. How can I turn the ESP off? I would like to turn it on only to find out at that moment, what the battery status is, not to have it on all the time. I have read the old instruction manual but can not find how to turn the unit off. True, I can disconnect wires or literally pull the plug in the back of the unit but this involves a great deal of work to get behind panels. Is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad

Re: ESP Controller

Postby Coulomb on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:35 pm

The ESP draws about 0.04 Amps with the back light off, which happens about 15 seconds after the last keypad activity. That's less than 1 Amp-hour a day.

If that really is what's dragging the batteries down, then you can add a switch in the power line to it.

Beware, however, there is a Li battery embedded in a memory chip that is used to save programmed parameters and the menu system. The battery only gets discharged when power is off. Leave it off long enough and memory is lost and can no longer be restored. That may take a year or two, but eventually it will fail.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Re: ESP Controller

Postby Brad on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks, Coulomb.

I'll turn the back light off. Here in New England I am worried about my lead Acid Rolls batteries freezing in below zero weather. I do have a wind generator which puts out 2 to 3 amps/hour when the wind blows so I should be OK with the ESP only taking 0.04 amp drain even for up to 5 days with no wind.
I appreciate your prompt reply.

Thanks again,

Brad
Brad

Return to Ample Power Monitors