sv2

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

sv2

Postby vessel on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi

Were having issues with the regulator not send voltage to the field terminal (tb2#10).
We check every hook up in the wire diagram. The only one was the negative from the field on the alternator was connected at the ground wire on the alternator. So back at the regulator I connect ground to that terminal as stated in the 1993 diagram. Anyway , intermittently when I start up the system I can see for a second that alternator is charging , but gets to 15volts fast and then stops charging. So the little LED green lite tells me there is a short to ground on the field wire. I took the alternator to the repair shop to check it out, it was fine. When the engine is on I read .028 of a volt at the field wire so is there short in the regulator? I check the field wire and it wasn't grounded. Can I test this by giving the field full voltage , just by hand tapping a jump on the field connection?
Genie 12v 150
regulator SV2

Thanks
vessel

Re: sv2

Postby Coulomb on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Take a look at the troubleshooting guide for the V3 regulator, and post the corresponding readings that we can look at.
http://www.amplepower.com/trouble/sarv3/index.html

One thing that happens to older installations such as this is corrosion in the B+ fuse. That causes too high a voltage
drop when the field is turned on and the regulator interprets that as too high a current at the field output.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby vessel on Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi

I will try that , check the fuse. If thats not it were should I go from there?

Thanks angain
vessel

Postby Coulomb on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:55 am

Post you're readings and perhaps we can see an anomaly.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby vessel on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi

Can you tell what reading you like to take?

Here's what happened today. Same problem , but i have of been mistaken the light flashes 3 seconds on one seconds off. So that tells me there is no sense connected. Well there is tb1-2 and tb1-8. When I turn on the ignition , not starting the motor I get 7 plus volts at the field. Then I hear a buzzing noise maybe the alternator. A few seconds go by and the field wire readings go down to zero. Both tb1-1 and 2 have the same voltage and connected to the same battery. Here's what go's were on the regulator

TB1
#2 battery
#3 limit switch
#4 limit switch (terminated to together at the switch)
#5 ground
#7 ignition
#8 battery
#9 temp +
#10 ground

TB2
#3 has a wire but I no Idea were it go's
#4 to ground (no correct , tried with discounted , no change)
#8 temp-
#10 field

The boat does have a ample monitor, but it shouldn't have anything to do with the regulator? Is this regulator bad?

Thanks
vessel

Postby vessel on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi

I just reading on the form and found a post seemed relevant. I talked about not having the charge alternator current flowing through the sense wire. The way this was and is hooked up,the starter gets its power from the alternator output terminal along with the battery cable to the the batteries. The battery cable run is, starter motor , alternator, then back to the battery were the sense wires are reading from. Is this wrong?
vessel

Postby Coulomb on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm not clear about the wiring from the description of the sense wire. It should come directly from the battery through a 3A fuse.

If your battery voltage is 12V or more, that's what you should see on the field when you first start. Only 7 Volts indicates a bad
regulator.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators