Confusing error codes

For all issues involving the Smart Alternator Regulators, V1, V2 and V3

Confusing error codes

Postby GinSkipper on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:22 am

Hi,

I have test fitted a SARv3 regulator and although I've tripple checked the temporary wiring arrangement, I keep getting two errors:

Field Short Circuit Detect & Cannot Turn On Field Output

These error codes seem to alternate every couple of minutes and having looked at the trouble shooting guide, I can't undestand why I get both and not one or the other. I have also tested the charging output and the batteries (lead acid) slowly move from 12.5 V to 14.1 V over a period of more than 2 minutes. Does this not suggest the device is still working correctly?

One further point, the device is fitted to an engine with a crank mounted alternator (in the bell housing) and I have never been able to determine if it is N-Type or P-Type.

Cheers
GinSkipper

Re: Confusing error codes

Postby Coulomb on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:05 am

The alternator is probably an N-type with an internal diode trio.

You may have already damaged the regulator, but disconnect it as a first step.

Did you remove the internal regulator?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby GinSkipper on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:33 am

Hi,

The original regulator was removed from the system as it had burnt out diodes due to ignition switch off while engine running. It was also far from being the most sophisticated piece of kit! ;) The alternator is the magnetic coil type generating a field around the engine fly wheel location, which is the standard fit on a Farrymann 18W diesel.

There are only two electrical connectors coming from the bell housing, which went to the old regulator. I'm pretty sure the alternator is earthed directly to the engine by it's installtion and therefore hoping that these two wires are the positive output and field control. Is this likely to to be the case? It certainly seems to be charging now when I test fitted the SAR! :)

Cheers
GinSkipper

Postby Coulomb on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Ouch!!! :o

The alternator appears to be a permanent magnet unit as opposed to a wound field unit. It's no wonder the SAR is giving confusing error codes. It isn't designed to operate with this kind of alternator.

Is this electrical assembly also the starter motor?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby GinSkipper on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi,

It described by the engine manufaturer as:

"The permanent magnets on the magnet carrier (1) on the flywheel
side induce an alternating current proportional to speed in the coils
of the stator"

It also states that the two wires I am using for +ve alternator output and field control are:

"2 x yellow (alternator coils input, can be connected either
way)"

The alternator is completely seperate from the starter, which is externaly connected to the same bell housing.

I guess the issue here is that I need to know if this is a problem as although the SAR gives the two error codes, I do get what seems to be a good controlled charge to the battery.

Cheers
GinSkipper

Postby Coulomb on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:35 pm

How long the SARV3 can survive operating as a series regulator instead of a wound field regulator is anyone's guess. It may smoke in the next 10 seconds, or maybe work for years.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby GinSkipper on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

The way I see it, the type of alternator we have doen't seem to require much in the way of field control. The SAR is probably overkill for the job but still seems capable or making the appropriate alterations to the AC output for charging the batteries. Therefore I am inclined to stick with it and see how long it lasts as there is not much to endanger - it still costs less that the old fashioned regulator that was bust in the first place. ;)

I may give you a progress report at the end of the sailing season. :P

Cheers
GinSkipper

Return to Smart Alternator Regulators