Next Step NEXT-12P field current problem

For Next Step Regulators including Lifeline units. Use the NS2 forum for NS2 issues.

Re: Next Step NEXT-12P field current problem

Postby nando64 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:08 pm

I said this was a 3 step regulator, you said it was not a next step.
My question is again when I disconnected the the # 6 wire from the regulator I still got the drain from the batteries. Does this mean the drain is coming from another source?
Also when I checked all the wires to the regulator and alternator current sensor only one was hot.
After I re attached the the #6 wire, about a week later I rechecked all the wires to the regulator and the alternator sensor and now the # 2 wire going to the regulator was also hot along with the # 6 wire. Do you have any ideas about this .
Also sometime when I run the engine the alternator charges the batteries and another time there is no output from the alternator. What do you think of this?
I don't mind buying a new regulator but I want the problem of the drain on the battery to be solved.
Also do you know of anyone in my area of Florida New Port Richey Tampa/St Petersburg who works on APC products.
I have enclosed a diagram of the battery charging system and amp hour meter.Unfortunatly I can not upload this PDF doc, so I will email it,
nando64

Postby Coulomb on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 pm

You posted a reply to a Next Step question instead of a posting new question and I missed the thread change from Next Step to 3-Step.

Remove the wire from the alternator field. The battery drain may go away. If it does, then the regulator is defective.

If not remove the rest of the wires from the regulator to isolate the discharge.

Send an email to ruth<at>amplepower.com for a list of techs in your area.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby nando64 on Wed May 12, 2010 6:48 pm

I turned on the battery switch and there was a 5 amp discharge from the #1 battery but the #2 battery showed no discharge. This was unusual because it has been a discharge on both batteries in the past.
I then disconnected the field wire from the alternator and there was a slightly less discharge from the #1 battery on the monitor but now there was a small amp and a half discharge from the #2 battery.
I then started to remove one wire at a time from the 3 step voltage regulator and these were the finding on the monitor.
Battery 1 Battery 2
1. 0 1.4 discharge
2. -.3 -1.0
3. -.2 -1.0
4. -.1 -1.1
5. -.1 -1.0
6. -.1 -1.1
7. -0 -1.3
8. -0 -1.4
9. -0 -1.5
10. -0 -1.5
11. -0 -1.5
12. -0 -1.4
Why I had a 10 amp discharge at the beginning and only a 5 amp discharge today I have no idea. also again today the alternator after placing the field wire back showed no charge after starting the engine. I them tried to by pass the voltage regulator with the switch and the monitor showed 130 amps on the monitor but no amps going to the house batteries.
I have tried to contact the people Ruth gave me but everyone seems to be out of business. Only Caliber Yatch called back but said they only install your products on new boats.
nando64

Postby Coulomb on Thu May 13, 2010 12:19 pm

You need to verify discharge using a separate Ammeter.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby nando64 on Sun May 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Where do I attach the amp meter to the wires on the back of the monitor,and if so which wires?
Can I use my volt ohm meter and just turn it to the amp setting or do I need another instrument?
Also why is the alternator output on the monitor sometime saying it is charging and other times it is not showing a charge?
Also can I disconnect the positive terminal from each battery and place the leads from the volt ohm meter between the positive cable and the positive post on the battery to see if there is a discharge without screwing up the expensive sensors that go to the monitor?
nando64

Postby Coulomb on Mon May 17, 2010 10:43 am

You need to call in someone who knows how to make these kinds of tests. The chances are pretty good that you're going to make things worse.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby nando64 on Mon May 17, 2010 5:31 pm

I called in 2 already, the first was marine electronics from port richey and the other was jimmy's mobile elecrtronics and neither could find the problem.
If you know of a good electrician let me know.
nando64

Postby nando64 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:26 pm

I have been unable to contact anyone who knows your system and I wonder if you could guide me in resolving this problem
nando64

Postby Ebacon on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:00 pm

I have the same problem of field current always on with ignition on or off and overcharge when engine is running. I detached the #1 wire to shut down the Next Step. Will repair or replace the Next Step soon. I live on board and will be running the engine 3x/month during the winter. With the next step shut down, any chance of damaging the alternator when I run the engine?
Ebacon

Postby Coulomb on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:04 pm

That's a 3-Step Regulator from the 1980's.

It's time to get a new NS2 Regulator.

If you're delivering field current to an alternator that is not running, it will get warm.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Next Step Regulators