Reinstallation

For issue regarding Ample Power diesel/bio-diesel battery chargers.

Reinstallation

Postby BillRucker on Tue May 25, 2010 11:18 am

I'm reinstalling a previously removed first generation Power Genie 12-150 and have two questions.

1. There is a shunt connected between the + alternator and the + distribution. This shunt is located inside the black metal shroud covering the alternator itself. I do not see a shunt in the wiring diagram for either the Power Genie or the SARV3. Should I just leave it in place and wire up an amp meter so I can see what the Power Genie is actually outputting? My house system - distribution is tied into a shunt that is read by a Heart Interface-Xantrex energy monitor which controls a large inverter charger.

2. My install will be about 6 inches above the waterline in a powerboat. Warning #6 in the manual says to install the waterlift muffler at least one foot below the exhaust outlet of the engine. Does this mean one foot below the inlet of the exhaust manifold or the outlet of the exhaust manifold?

If you need further explanation, I'd be happy to attach a couple of photographs.

Thanks for your help,

Bill
BillRucker

Re: Reinstallation

Postby Coulomb on Tue May 25, 2010 2:15 pm

You have a very old Genie, late 1980s or early 1990s. Originally it probable had a #1121 regulator with current limiting using the shunt. The shunt isn't used with the SARV3.

The water lift muffler manufacturer specifies 1 foot of water drop between the engine and the muffler, so that's the top of the wet manifold.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby BillRucker on Wed May 26, 2010 6:10 am

Coulomb- Thanks for the quick reply. Are you saying that I should just follow the pre 2004 Genie and the current SARV3 wiring diagrams exactly or is there something better to use.

Thanks,

Bill
BillRucker

Postby Coulomb on Wed May 26, 2010 10:55 am

If you don't have the original wiring diagrams then using the pre-2004 drawings will work. Use the SARV3 wiring diagram also.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby BillRucker on Wed May 26, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks very much for your help. I'm much more confident now.

Best regards,

Bill
BillRucker

Return to Ample Power Diesel Battery Chargers