Emon 2H1 and solar relay

For the Energy Monitor, ESP, and other monitors

Emon 2H1 and solar relay

Postby INJ on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm working through an issue with an Emon2-h1 and solar relay. The solar relay is installed as per the supplied diagram and tested by asserting EM relay pin 1-1 high to trigger the relay. I confirmed the EM relay switches the load properly.

The problem I'm having is when I connect Em relay 1-1 to the Emon 2-1 slr, I can't get the slr output to switch at all.

I set the volts lo at 13.4 and volts hi at 13.7. I then switched the battery charger on and off several times and watched the voltage rise past the volts hi setpoint then fall below the volts lo setpoint. As I understand it, the relay should switch back and forth as I run the voltage up and down with the charger past the programmed setpoints.

I disconnected the EM relay from the 2-1 slr output and metered pin 2-1on the emon. The voltage reads minus 7.21Vdc referenced to neg distribution. The voltage doesn't toggle at all as I run the system voltage up and down.

Other settings are temp compensation - false, B1 full - false. It should be in solar mode.

Is there anything in the programming I'm missing or does it sound like a problem with the Emon?

Any thoughts on where the problem might be would be appreciated
INJ

Re: Emon 2H1 and solar relay

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:59 pm

The tests you made are appropriate for a 'dumb' solar controller. Such a controller, needlessly cycles the relay on and off, and overcharges the battery.

The Emon is smarter than that. After the relay opens, discharge the battery a little bit before expecting the relay to reclose.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby INJ on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:50 pm

According to the manual, with the b1 Full function selected as False in the controller menu, the relay should respond to voltage setpoints only. How much smarter does it need to be?

Other Emon installations I've worked on, including my own, seem to operate this way.
INJ

Postby Coulomb on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:54 am

You're correct about the controller function in the Emon using voltage only. As a precaution to avoid frequent relay operation, the low setpoint should be 12.7 to 12.8 V.

I noticed when looking at the code file that there is a manual mode which allows control of the signals via the menu. Manual mode overrides the auto modes.

Do you have manual mode enabled?
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby INJ on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:05 am

The only reference to manual or auto is in the charger menu. No reference to this in the controller menu. Is this the function you refer to?
INJ

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:26 am

I don't have an Emon to play with, and tracking menus from the code file is difficult. However, under controller programming where high and low setpoints are adjusted, there appears to be a setting that overrides auto operation.

There also appears to be two delays, one prior to asserting the on level, and one prior to asserting the off level. A large value in either of these could make you think the controller wasn't working.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Postby INJ on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:41 am

Access to the settings you are referring to isn't indicated in the manual and doesn't show up in the menu tree. I went through every menu this morning and checked for anything that looked like it might affect the solar controller. Then I did a factory reset and went through the programming for the whole monitor. Following this I rechecked the wiring for the solar relay, and confirmed it switches when
TB1-1 on the EM relay is asserted high.

As far as I can see everything is correct for the wiring, and the programmed settings should work. I've never seen anything in the controller menu though that looks like a delay function or an auto / manual setting. Again, I've installed several of these relays over the years and things seemed to work in straight forward fashion, including my own system that continues to operate flawlessly after close to twenty years.

Something else I noticed. If I pull the power fuse for the Emon, when I power up the emon again the relay bumps on for a split second then off again.

I'm stumped at this point.
INJ

Postby Coulomb on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:55 pm

It sounds like it need to come in for repair.

Don't disconnect the terminal blocks from the Emon. Remove the lugs with the vessel wiring.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to Ample Power Monitors