Dedicated start battery w/ 2 engines

This forum is for general electrical issues. See other forums for product specific issues

Dedicated start battery w/ 2 engines

Postby billg on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:23 pm

I now have a dedicated start battery for starting a 3 cylinder Atomic diesel generator. The geneartor has its own alternator and regulator for charging its dedicated start battery as well as its own start/kill switch. Could this same start battery be utilized to also start the main engine?

Currently the main is started by the house bank. The house bank is charged by an alternator/regulator from the main as well as separately by the generator. There currently is no battery selector switch on the boat. The start battery for the generator gets a charge only when the generator is utilized.

I'm assuming that a single start battery could be switched between the two engines' starters, but I'm not clear on how it would consistently get its charge - by simply leaving it on the charge system for the generator as is now and closely monitoring that battery? The start battery is not connected to a battery monitor such as a Link 2000. My apology if this is a really dumb question.
billg

Re: Dedicated start battery w/ 2 engines

Postby Coulomb on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:19 pm

This is like a two engine boat - use one starter battery as shown here:
http://www.amplepower.com/primer/pwrsys/index.html

If you were to regulate both alternators with a Smart Alternator Regulator, V3 , using a Dual Alternator Controller, then you'd also gain a signal to close a parallel solenoid to charge the starter battery and the house battery.
Coulomb
Site Admin

Return to General Electrical